Sunday, December 7, 2008

Emma Song Peformance and Beth's Head Staple (family activites in the digital age)

Emma's third grade class performed a song "I Can Make a Difference" during an assembly, and being the dutiful mother that I am, fought my way to the front of the gym, whipped out my camera and did the shaky hand-cam recording. First row, second from left, there she is singing her heart out. Emma is a talented and enthusiastic singer!



Semi-related rant: How has blogging and the digital age changed the way you enjoy (or stress over) family activities? I wonder how our kids will feel never getting to see our proud, relaxed faces during such activities - only us jostling for the right camera angle with cell phones and cameras pressed to our faces. how do you feel about those who arrive early to save the first three rows of seats for all members of their extended family and set up two tripods from two different angles to catch the action. Are you one of them? Whether we bake a cake, see Santa, play a soccer game or have a piano recital, did it really happen if we didn't record it in some way?

I remember when Emma "graduated" from preschool. We were of course clueless and poor and had no cameras or recorders. When she got her diploma, we clapped and smiled, and felt stupid. But I still remember it and part of me wishes all activities could be like that: just clap, smile, and enjoy the moment.


Oh, and speaking of recording triumph and tradgedy, here's Beth's head staple after cutting her head on the wall. After getting her staple Beth asks, "are you going to blog my staple?" Yes, I'm guilty folks, of everying above (except for the tripods and seat saving. Seat savers make me grouchy!).

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I am so glad I am not the only person who sees something wrong with the picture. Lane and I have kind of been in fights on vacations because he has the camcorder out the ENTIRE TIME and I feel like I can't even talk to him or it will be recorded, however, when I had finally had enough, our fight got recorded. Haha. He has gotten a little better and I guess one of the positives is now we have our entire honeymoon (well the sightseeing parts) and half of our Hawaii vacation recorded (the other half he finally felt stupid).

Organized Chaos said...

Oh I love your simplistic view of how things should be. I am always the parent that claps and smiles and I think it is the way it should be and capture them in real life situations.

Ambyr said...

I can't believe they stapled her head OUCH!!! I hate seat savers but I have become one whenever we go anywhere as an entire family aka with Either side's siblings and things. I'm always the one there without the stupid camera and looking totally stupid!