Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sweet Jane


It's time for an update since so many new things have been happening to Jane. In October she was fitted for DAFOS (little feet braces) to give her extra support as she learns to walk. This was done up and Shriner's Hospital, which operates on donations and allows patients to be seen and treated without payment. Thank you Shriners!
First Jane had to be fitted for the braces. Here they are putting a cast on her leg.

This cast is removed when it dries and provides a model for the braces.
When we first walked into the room, we were greeted with this ominous table. It looks like some sort of torture device. Fortunately, the table was neither spoken of nor used.
Then there was the part where we felt like we were picking out curtains. The doctor came in and tossed us a ring with all of the patterns and colors available for the braces. I don't know, it just seemed funny at the time. We went with the always fashionable "Hawaiian Package" with a lovely flowered strap with red foam and white plastic. It was funny and profoundly sad at the same time.
A couple of weeks later, the braces were finished!

Here's Jane bouncing around with her new braces.



Jane also has physical therapy at Shriner's once a week. This is her great PT Holly. Holly works with Jane to improve her strength and balance, and gives me suggestions on what I can do to help her at home.

Jane and the Big Mean Ball of Torture


On a related note, Jane has seen some great improvements as she has temporarily stopped taking her seizure medication. The side effects were not good (nausea, fatigue, muscle weakness, etc.) and now that she is off of them she seems much more alert and happy. We're hoping that the seizures won't start again, or if they do, we can use a different medication.

What a ride this has been. I have learned many things and hope that Jane can continue to make improvements. I've learned that "normal" is overrated, that God knows all of his children, and that scarf dancing, while perhaps being a good therapy for others, is enough to send this mother head first into an existential crisis and should never be attempted again.

7 comments:

The Airharts said...

I'm glad everythings is taking a turn for the better for you guys! The boots are so cute-good choice.

Ambyr said...

Sounds like you have been through so much. I'm glad that everything sounds like it's on the up! I have no idea what "scarf dancing" is but sounds interesting. I'm glad to hear an update on you and your girls, We should get together some time soon for dinner and games!

Carrie said...

Oh Cathy, I love the way you write. I can just hear you through your written words.
Thank you for teaching me about "normal" and what a funny word it is. You have no idea how our parallel universes have made me look at life with a better perspective. Thank you for your friendship!
You are right, scarf dancing is not necessary and at least you can say you tried it! Moving on! :)

Jessica said...

Scarf dancing? What? You will have to fill me in on that one. You are amazing..glad I get to know you and be part of the "Fam".

Electrawoman said...

I have particapted in and led a group in scarf dancing the whole time i was doing it i felt like a nerd but it is actualy great for the kids. I have done the mean ball of torture but mine was red,and the swing is awesome,and i had the funnest time watchng jane in her jumper i am so glad i found it she is a hoot.

The Webbers said...

I'm glad everything is going well. You are such a great person and we wish you all the best for your family. It was great seeing you guys a few weeks ago. thanks for the invite.

Willardsen Family said...

I am so glad you found our blog. I can't believe how grown up your kids are. They are beautiful. It is great to see how you guys are doing.