Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Flag in the Blanket

I don't remember many church meetings from my youth, but this one I remember. It was one of the few times I've seen my dad cry.

Jim Patterson spoke. He was a World War 2 veteran, a POW, and a survivor of the Bataan Death March. He was a prisoner of war in the Phillipines. While he was taken prisoner, he and his fellow soldiers managed to hide amongst themselves an American flag. The Japanese soldiers were ruthless and killed the POWs for even the smallest infraction.
The risk was great. Knowing they could be killed for posessing the flag, they kept it hidden, rolled up in an old tattered Army blanket. On special occasions, such as Independence Day, the POWs would carefully, secretively, unroll the blanket and look at the flag. Months turned into years and still the flag remained undiscovered. Finally, Jim and the other POWs were released after 3 years of imprisonment.

Jim finished his remarks and stepped to the side of the pulpit. His old body bent over, and with the help of another man, he picked up an old rolled up Army blanket. The men held up the blanket at each end and slowly unrolled it to reveal his old, worn, American flag. A woman sang "God Bless America". Once the flag was completely in view, it was slowly rolled up again into the blanket and disappeared.

His incredible story remains imprinted on my memory and has taught me of the painful sacrifice that so many have made for me. It has also taught me that there can be a love of country and faith so great it is willing to face the threat of certain death, not in the heat of battle, but for posessing that old flag rolled up in a blanket.

4 comments:

amanda said...

what an amazing story! i want a memorial day here...

Brenda Fisher said...

That is a beautiful story, I would have liked to have been at that meeting. Ed's talk on Sunday was great, by the way!

Unknown said...

What an amazing story! I got a little teary-eyed just reading it. Thanks for posting!

Paris Lover said...

I love WWII history. Enjoyed reading that. Thanks!